Change of Name on Oklahoma Car Registration

Have you recently gotten married, divorced, or had to change your legal name? The Oklahoma DPS recommends that you change the name on your OK car registration as soon as possible. Select from the options below to get started.

Sponsored Link Ad

1: Get Started with Online Application Services

Online application assistance can simplify the process for many DPS related services for a fee, including: renewing your license, applying for a license, registering a vehicle, replacing your license, changing your address and more. Where possible, we will prepare your DPS forms and/or provide links to DPS online services. You will also receive 30 days of both emergency Roadside Assistance and the Repair Assist consultation service from Road America. In addition, you will be able to take advantage of a free membership to DMV Advisors, a state-specific help desk prepared to answer any driver-related questions or concerns you may have. Other benefits include an ongoing monthly newsletter and a quarterly magazine covering important updates that affect drivers, important safety tips, trends, legislative updates and ways to save money on vehicle-related services.

2: By mail, if eligible (read below for instructions)

Some drivers prefer to handle the renewal process by mail, rather than taking advantage of assistance services, visiting the DPS in person, or via available online services. Service by mail is available with limitations. Read below for additional details or visit your local DPS.

3: Via a local DPS office

If you prefer to access DPS services in person or your specific needs require an in-person visit, most, if not all, driver license services can be handled at a physical DPS office location. Varying DPS offices sometimes supply different types of services so you will need to check before your visit to make sure the DPS closest to you provides the service you require. In addition, you can call to see if your local DPS allows you to make a personal appointment. Read more below to see if an in-person visit is either preferred or required.

Change of Name on OK Car Registration

Before changing your name on your Oklahoma car registration, you must make sure the change has been made via the United States Social Security Administration. For detailed information on how this can be expedited, visit the Social Security Administration website.

You can only change your name in Oklahoma by presenting proof of legal name change with one of the following documents:

  • Marriage document
  • Court-ordered document
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Divorce decree

Once this is complete, you may then proceed to request a name change on your car registration. For more information on how to change your name on your OK car registration, visit: