Oklahoma Salvage Title

An auto involved in an accident in the state of Oklahoma becomes a salvage vehicle if the damage estimate is 100 percent of its value to completely repair or replace it. This will result in the issuance of a Oklahoma Salvage Certificate for the vehicle. It becomes a salvage vehicle and can't be driven on the highways or have a valid license plate. If the vehicle is restored, it has to be inspected before a Rebuilt Title will be issued. A rebuilt vehicle with a OK Salvage Rebuilt Title can be driven on the highways.

Sponsored Link Ad

1: Get Started with Online Application Services

Online application assistance can simplify the process for many DPS related services for a fee, including: renewing your license, applying for a license, registering a vehicle, replacing your license, changing your address and more. Where possible, we will prepare your DPS forms and/or provide links to DPS online services. You will also receive 30 days of both emergency Roadside Assistance and the Repair Assist consultation service from Road America. In addition, you will be able to take advantage of a free membership to DMV Advisors, a state-specific help desk prepared to answer any driver-related questions or concerns you may have. Other benefits include an ongoing monthly newsletter and a quarterly magazine covering important updates that affect drivers, important safety tips, trends, legislative updates and ways to save money on vehicle-related services.

2: By mail, if eligible (read below for instructions)

Some drivers prefer to handle the renewal process by mail, rather than taking advantage of assistance services, visiting the DPS in person, or via available online services. Service by mail is available with limitations. Read below for additional details or visit your local DPS.

3: Via a local DPS office

If you prefer to access DPS services in person or your specific needs require an in-person visit, most, if not all, driver license services can be handled at a physical DPS office location. Varying DPS offices sometimes supply different types of services so you will need to check before your visit to make sure the DPS closest to you provides the service you require. In addition, you can call to see if your local DPS allows you to make a personal appointment. Read more below to see if an in-person visit is either preferred or required.

Oklahoma Salvage Titles

In the state of Oklahoma, a vehicle is deemed a total loss by an insurance company if repairing the vehicle or rebuilding the vehicle is 60 percent or more of the market value as determined by your insurance company. Once claimed as a total loss, your salvaged vehicle will be assigned an OK Salvaged Title. Your salvaged vehicle must be rebuilt or restored and pass inspection before it can be registered to be driven on the highways.

Oklahoma Salvage Certificate of Title

If you remain the owner and in possession of the vehicle once the insurance company deems it a total loss, you must submit that information to the Oklahoma Tax Commission within 10 days of the settlement. For office locations, please click here. Once they are notified, they will mail you a Salvage Certificate of Title.

Oklahoma Rebuilt Salvage Certificate

If you have repaired or restored your salvaged vehicle to roadworthy condition, you can then apply for an Oklahoma Rebuilt Vehicle Title. Before filing for the Rebuilt Title, you'll need to first have the vehicle inspected. Fill out an OK Salvage Inspection Request form (OTC Form 788-B) and turn it into your local OK Tax Commission (OTC) branch. They will contact you with your appointment date and time.

At the inspection, bring your vehicle title, receipts for all rebuilt parts, proof of insurance and payment of method for the fee. After your salvage vehicle passes inspection, you can go to your local OTC office and file for a Rebuilt Salvage Title.

Title an Abandoned Vehicle in Oklahoma

An abandoned vehicle title in Oklahoma can be claimed by anyone as long as the owner does not come forward to claim it. To claim an abandoned vehicle and title it, you'll have to first report the abandoned vehicle to your local Oklahoma law authorities who will investigate and try to contact the owner. If the owner is not located, authorities will inform you.

You can then apply for a new vehicle title through your local OTC branch. To find an office near you, please visit http://www.tax.ok.gov/mla/mla-index.html.